Sunday, August 10, 2014



This past week, I received most of the items that I need to get this install going and ordered the front speakers and a USB Mini B extension cable for the OTG, but there are still a few items to be ordered and several other things to tackle.

My goal for the weekend was to start modifying the dash kit, root the device, install the kernel, and download the appropriate apps to get the Nexus 7 working in the car. 




On Friday I began the process of modifying the dash kit. This process is going to take a bit of work and if it turns out the way I hope it will be worth it. Most of the Nexus installs I've seen appear to have the device permanently installed into the vehicle, which is something I want to avoid. I want this install to be as stealth as possible and I would also like to have access to the external accessories plugged into the device without having to take the dash apart. Once this is achieved, pictures will be posted.

On Saturday I successfully rooted the device and verified with Root Checker.





After this was done, I installed ROM Manager, so I could install the kernel from the internal SD while in recovery mode.

I then attempted to install USB ROM and after several failed attempts gave up and decided to use Timur's Kernel, which should provide me with what I need. I made my donation and waited for a link to arrive.

On Sunday morning the link was in my inbox. I downloaded the .zip files onto the device, powered down, and powered it back up in Fastboot. 




Everything appeared to take, so I rebooted the device and that's when I encountered my first major problem. The device is now stuck on this screen;




I Googled the issue and found this tutorial. I currently have the Android SDK installed and have taken a peak, but that's as far as I've gotten with the process. I plan on completing the process this week and will start the root/kernel install again. 

Next weekend I hope to pull the car into the garage and begin the process of building an amp rack and also determining if the rear speakers I've spec'd for the build will work where I want them to. The JL 6W3v3-4's require a ported or sealed enclosure, so I need to decide If I am going to relocate them or do a little cutting to the rear speaker mount. I'm leaning towards cutting. Should be fun. 


Thanks for reading and check back next weekend for another update.

No comments:

Post a Comment