Sunday, August 3, 2014

When I purchased my GTI last month, I was excited that I finally had a car that I could put a 2 din Nav unit in and after a bit of research I decided on an Alpine INE-W940. Then I dug a little deeper and learned that the head unit I chose is only capable of indexing 10,000 songs and this was something I wouldn't be able to live with, so it was back to square one (for a few minutes).

For several years, I have been trying to figure out a way to put a 2TB HDD in a car with little hassle and when I read that with a little bit of work a Nexus 7 could accomplish this, my mind was made up. I spent several hours figuring out what the best set up for me would be and am now in the process of building my system, which will consist of the following;

Nexus 7 [2013 (purchased)]
DVB-T USB Stick (on order)
Behringer UCA202 (on order)
JL Audio 300/4 & JL Audio 500/1 (in the mail)
JL Audio C5-653 for the Front
JL Audio 6W3V3-4 x2 for the Rear

This install is not plug & play and I was not able to source what I need locally and had to order most of it online. A couple of items are being shipped from China and it may take them until mid September to arrive, so while I'm waiting I plan on rooting the device and installing USB ROM. For now, I have settled on the following apps to operate and use with the device while it's in the car;

Power Amp (installed)
Pandora (installed)
Podcast Republic (installed)
SDR Touch (installed)
Spotify (installed)

Thanks for reading and I will update as I progress, so check back often.

No comments:

Post a Comment